NSW MX5 Cup - First round open

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: NSW MX5 Cup - First round open

Postby zossy1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Deckspeed Racing wrote:David I think your doing an amazing job on those tyres that I would classify as death donuts. I have used nittos once in the past because the buy price looked so attractive. What I found is that they performed marginally better than a good road tyre but wore out twice as quick, that to me made them super expensive

Daniel I think "death donuts" may be a bit extreme. I just raced the 300 on Nittos and I grant you, they're not the best tyre but they're not the worst either.

With the right pressures, I am doing times that are around 1.5 sec slower than used slicks. And they last very well - I think I'd get at least 1000 race kms out of a set, possibly 1500kms, judging from the wear I saw during the 300. Our times were actually 0.5 sec faster again during the first few heat cycles.

But, they are very sensitive to pressure and do not appreciate being over dríven. They get slick fast if you push too hard.

And they suck in damp or wet conditions. That much is true.

david_syd_au
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby david_syd_au » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Chris
zossy1 wrote:I think I'd get at least 1000 race kms out of a set, possibly 1500kms, judging from the wear I saw during the 300.

I used a set of 205/50/15 Nittos last year and did 8 super sprints, a similar number of track days, and a few driver training days, and they were just down to the wear markers. I don't know the kms.
I was quite happy with the wear as it allowed me to meet my track budget goal of one set of tyres per year.

zossy1 wrote:But, they are very sensitive to pressure and do not appreciate being over dríven. They get slick fast if you push too hard.

Yes they certainly are pressure sensitive nature, but I haven't experienced what I would consider to be a gross deterioration when they are pushed hard. Maybe I haven't pushed them hard enough!

zossy1 wrote:And they suck in damp or wet conditions. That much is true.

Agree 1000%
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Saturday MX-5 Cup races were the first time I had used them in the wet, and they were really diabolical. In those conditions I think Daniels description of "death donuts" was accurate.
2011 NC LE "Black Beauty" (ours) | 2006 NC race car "Shazza" (his) | 1998 JDM NB race car "OMG" (hers) | NC Trailer

Celluloid Retina
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Celluloid Retina » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm no expert David, but looking at your track lap it looks like a combination of tyres and setup, are the problem.
Those tyres just won't accept any lateral load being put into them, which from my limited understanding means that your setup is far to stiff all round - and the tyres aren't doing you any favours either. You've certainly got the cat-like reflexes going on, catching the slides (i'm sure if we'd dragged you out of the car and dropped you on your head, you would have landed on your feet), but you're having to be hesitant turn-in, mid corner and on exit.
I hope it hasn't put you off the racing experience, i certainly wouldn't have wanted to line up for the races on Saturday with no wet running under my belt, on top of the racing being new to me. Your car may not have been the fastest, but it looked like the most fun!

Stuart

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby mazmad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:27 am

Got the pics from John yesterday. Wet? Fair to say..yes.

MX5CupRacing
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

TROPHIES TROPHIES TROPHIES

Postby MX5CupRacing » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm

TROPHIES
Wakefield have rectified their printer issue and have kindly provided us with the trophies from the first round.

We will have these available at round 2 - anybody wishing to collect theirs in the meantime from me in Sydney feel free to call / email me directly.

Craig.
Mobile: 0411 234 794
cpd@tag.com.au

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby Guran » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Great story by Stuart covering his race debut at the MX-5 Cup.

http://nsw.mx5.com.au/news/stu-s-racing-adventure
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”