Oil Leak, help :(

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Oil Leak, help :(

Postby GR124 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm

the engine has been sitting for awhile. Now started and we have a leak (or leaks).
Difficult for me to see where it's all coming from. Oil is new so it's kinda clear.
Starting from the top I can see it leaking from between the cam cover and the head, the flat between the cam seal hump casings. I don't think it's all coming from the cam cover. The thing is, there's a lot around the crank pulley and the dripping from the sump.
With the engine wiped clean and ran for 15-20 minutes we have a couple of drips off the sump and spraying off the crank pulley. so it's a good leak

Ok so there is some from the cam cover.
The next area down would be the oil passage from between the head and the block, is this common?
all comments welcome

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Oil Leak, help :(

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 am

How long has it been sitting for?

Pure optimistic speculation here not based on any knowledge, if it has been sat for many years maybe the seals dried out and with fresh oil on them might expand and fix much of it...then on the other hand?

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 am

Red_Bullet wrote:How long has it been sitting for?

Pure optimistic speculation here not based on any knowledge, if it has been sat for many years maybe the seals dried out and with fresh oil on them might expand and fix much of it...then on the other hand?

Thanks RB for your response. It hasn't been started for about a year. I only removed/disturbed the sump and the CAM cover to modify them. I recently put a new gasket on the cam cover admittedly this was a cheap ebay job. I do have a OEM Mazda gasket I could replace it with. There is a good pool of oil on the above the oil pump housing (see photo).
If the oil is pooling where it is, The only places it could come from is the cam cover, cam seals (checked and look fine), head gasket?

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am

Well do the easy one and see what happens, change the cam cover gasket. Old saying Don't fix what ain't fu**ed.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:52 am

Red_Bullet I may just do that, change the EBay cam cover gasket to a OEM one

OR

Just sent an email to Mazda to grab a price for head gasket, cam cover gasket, cam seals.

I may just pull the head and replace all the above seals and gaskets? These are the three areas where it maybe coming from.

unless someone has a better idea??

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm

GR124 wrote:Just sent an email to Mazda to grab a price for head gasket, cam cover gasket, cam seals.

Worth noting, if you sent it to head office they likely wont be able to help.

Mazda spare parts etc are all dealt with through the dealerships, so just contact your nearest one.

Or just use somewhere like MX5 Mania, Amayama, or MX5 parts UK (depending on exchange rate)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 pm

hks_kansei wrote:
GR124 wrote:Just sent an email to Mazda to grab a price for head gasket, cam cover gasket, cam seals.

Worth noting, if you sent it to head office they likely wont be able to help.

Mazda spare parts etc are all dealt with through the dealerships, so just contact your nearest one.

Or just use somewhere like MX5 Mania, Amayama, or MX5 parts UK (depending on exchange rate)

I've bought a couple of parts through the local Mazda parts dealer previously. thanks for the heads up

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Forensics, here's an idea,

Clean all oil off the area with brake cleaner and a rag.

Start the engine allow to run for a while.

Turn off then puff chalk dust or flour lightly onto the affected area..

It should stick to the oil, maybe it will reveal the highest part of the engine that the oil is coming from.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:Forensics, here's an idea,

Clean all oil off the area with brake cleaner and a rag.

Start the engine allow to run for a while.

Turn off then puff chalk dust or flour lightly onto the affected area..

It should stick to the oil, maybe it will reveal the highest part of the engine that the oil is coming from.

I like ya thinking, I may have a crack at that. :beer:

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 pm

GR124 wrote:I may just pull the head and replace all the above seals and gaskets? These are the three areas where it maybe coming from.

Did you put sealant in the corners of the 3 'humps' for the camshafts?
I wouldn't remove the head. I doubt oil is coming out between head & block, as you would have bigger problems if the gasket was blown.
The oil underneath could be the crank front seal.

Aiming Faster
Fast Driver

Postby Aiming Faster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 am

I agree with RS2000. Use the Mazda gasket, and clean the head with brake cleaner spray and a small paintbrush to really get the solvent into the corners. Then put small blobs of sealant onto the head, in the corners where the 3 humps in the rubber gasket fit - so that's 6 all up. Torque up the bolts in sequence, should be a dry result!
Did you use an ebay kit for the sump too? Bigger job to remove the sump, so inspect the lip of the front main crank seal before cleaning.
You'll need to remove the vibration damper to see properly. Using that brake cleaner spray and brush again, wash around the front main seal/sump area. I'd clean the timing belt/gears/idlers of oil too.
Good luck.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 am

Aiming Faster wrote:I agree with RS2000. Use the Mazda gasket, and clean the head with brake cleaner spray and a small paintbrush to really get the solvent into the corners. Then put small blobs of sealant onto the head, in the corners where the 3 humps in the rubber gasket fit - so that's 6 all up. Torque up the bolts in sequence, should be a dry result!
Did you use an ebay kit for the sump too? Bigger job to remove the sump, so inspect the lip of the front main crank seal before cleaning.
You'll need to remove the vibration damper to see properly. Using that brake cleaner spray and brush again, wash around the front main seal/sump area. I'd clean the timing belt/gears/idlers of oil too.
Good luck.
RS2000 wrote:
GR124 wrote:I may just pull the head and replace all the above seals and gaskets? These are the three areas where it maybe coming from.

I wouldn't remove the head. I doubt oil is coming out between head & block, as you would have bigger problems if the gasket was blown.

Great advice guys. I will reassemble the cam cover with the OEM gasket with some sealant in the 6 corners as described.
Yes I did install the two ebay half circle type seals at each end of the sump. I did use sealant on both sides and flat mating surfaces of the sump. I hope this sealed :oops:

First job is to fit the cam seal and throw the cam belt back on and start it. I'll run it for a bit inspect and throw some flour or chalk dust on it.
I'll let you the forum know how it goes.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 am

RS2000 wrote:

Aiming Faster wrote:I agree with RS2000. Use the Mazda gasket, and clean the head with brake cleaner spray and a small paintbrush to really get the solvent into the corners. Then put small blobs of sealant onto the head, in the corners where the 3 humps in the rubber gasket fit - so that's 6 all up. Torque up the bolts in sequence, should be a dry result!
Good luck.

BIG THANKS GUYS,
my bad,,looks like it was a rookie mistake :roll: . I replaced the ebay cam gasket with OEM & this time a little dob of sealant into the six corners of the cam humps. looks like it's fixed

3gress
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby 3gress » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 am

Be wary of the compression ferulle type fittings on your fuel lines there too. They are more suited for lower fuel pressure carby setups.
Some use them with no issues on injected 40psi+fuel systems , others have had them blow off.
Concerned enough to mention them.

GR124
Fast Driver

Postby GR124 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 am

3gress wrote:Be wary of the compression ferulle type fittings on your fuel lines there too. They are more suited for lower fuel pressure carby setups.
Some use them with no issues on injected 40psi+fuel systems , others have had them blow off.
Concerned enough to mention them.

I used Speedflow fittings, no Chinese junk used. I appreciate the heads up I'll keep an eye on them

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”