Ghettobuilt transmission jack

Engines, Transmissions & Final Drive questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Jaspers dad
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Ghettobuilt transmission jack

Postby Jaspers dad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Having recently replaced the clutch in my ute, using far more dodgy arrangements and nearly ruining myself I appreciate this tip. For those worried about the risk of it falling off the scissor jacks just strap it on with a couple of cargo straps

adidistyle
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby adidistyle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Ingenious Keith! Here's my 5-speed version. I had all the bit's in my garage but I doubt I would have joined the dots that way. The spare gearbox has been on that dolly for a year at least.

5-spd casings looks quite different to 6-spd. I offset the rear jack to pick up a flat. The front jacks pick up a circumferential rib. Will test it out tomorrow night. Hopefully it will be able to nose right up to the trolley jack that will be holding up the engine.

At its lowest, the tranny is 520mm above floor. I'm not yet sure how I am going to get it out from under the car. I've got the car up as high as I dare. The last time I did this job was on an RX4 back in the late 80s. I just manhandled in by myself. I think I'm too old for this now... need grown up tools.

20181014_205925.jpg

20181014_205941.jpg

20181014_210301.jpg

20181014_210333.jpg

20181014_210310.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adam Shipway
NA6 for track. NA8B SE (in slow progress)

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 pm

nice work. I think the issue, as you say is getting the gear box under/out from under the car without it being stupid high on stands.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:06 pm

I've actually found it easier to take the engine and box out all together and do it on the bench.

saves having to deal with tall stands etc.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

3gress
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby 3gress » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Ideally I'd have preferred to take the engine and box out together, having a hoist and leveller at our disposal in the Dan cave.
However our two cars were back to back and Keith's car was sitting on a progressively sloping floor, also lacking room to manoeuvre the hoist about. Not wanting to let him down i whipped up a quick sketch outlining the idea and set Keith to task evaluating the design given his professional aptitude.
Morning came and after a quick sausage sanga interlude, we purchased the trolley and had at it with drill bits and bolts. Concept proven and safety tested we were quite relieved to cross gbox swap, clutch install and engine mount replacement off the task list. Keith was able to make it home on time and we both were able to reflect on the occasion as an example of invention being the offspring of necessity.
I can raise these stands another 100mm or so and am quite comfortable working underneath the car as it sits at that height.
Larger rated stands are available that afford increased height and would allow gbox to be wheeled under on trolley, though finding a low slung caster trolley would be an improvement.

Edit: that is a brake bleeding contraption and not a recreational illicit substance inhalation device under the rear wheel well!!!

Return to “MX5 Engines, Transmission & Final Drive”