Higher end coilovers for NAs?

Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres questions and answers

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Higher end coilovers for NAs?

Postby apsilon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:23 pm

I ordered a set of Ohlins a month ago but the reseller has turned out to be useless so I may have to go elsewhere depending on what the distributor comes up with so I'm looking at other possible options.

What's available new that can be rebuilt locally that are of similar quality and performance to the Ohlins? I picked them as they're reportedly a great ride over rough roads while also being good performers and very light. I do want adjustability so I can fine tune them to my liking. I'm definitely more interested in street performance than track so spring rates need to take this into account.

What options should I be looking at?
'97 Neo Green limited edition

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Re: Higher end coilovers for NAs?

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 am

Try Shockworks or MCA for local products.

Xidas are probably a bit more than Ohlins once shipped over here and with GST added. They have almost universal praise over on Miata.net and are rated better than the Ohlins.

MeisterR have an updated top of the line unit coming out shortly. They get good reviews too.

However I have no personal experience with any.

I am after new coil overs myself. I am leaning towards Shockworks as I was really impressed by them when I paid them a visit. You save a lot of money with them compared to Ohlins and for me they are just around the corner.

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks.

I did look at the Xida but they seem much more track specific, especially with the sort of spring rates they talk about. Also don't know if they can be rebuilt locally.

MCA I've seen mixed reviews so didn't consider them very seriously. Shockworks I've looked at buying before for a different car and got turned off them as they had an exclusive arrangement in place and so wouldn't sell to me, I had to go to a single specific reseller and that's not a practice I like or will support if I can help it.

MeisterR I didn't consider as I don't think they have a local presence so don't know if they can be rebuilt locally.

Maybe I need to look at the MCA option a bit more. I've got some time while I sort out the Ohlins issue and do a charge back etc.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 am

http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=75785 Great Value!

You could look at BC Racing from Just Jap. BC Racing can custom valve their dampers as well as spring rates you just need to specify what you want.

MCA offer a customised service as well (Gold) or a matched pair (red).

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:03 am

I've always seen BC as mid range at best so haven't looked into them. Would look at MCA before BC.

Those Xida with 800/500 springs, too high a spring rate IMO for a street car. Good for a track car and street car that does regular track days but I'd prefer something a little more comfortable these days.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:15 am

I love my Xidas! I had HSDs before these and they were horrible.

I'm currently running them with 550/350 springs, but have some 700/400 on the shelf to go on soon. My car is 95% street dríven. Supermiata/949 also have Xida XL now, which is a more streetable version, not designed to go as low, but still the same excellent valving and engineering, with height and rebound adjustment.

If you want high-end shocks then Xidas, or Fox from FlyinMiata are the ticket, they are the only MX-5 specific shocks available (most shocks are generic and allow for length adjustment to suit different chassis, including Ohlins, but these two are specifically designed to the MX-5's geometry).

I actually think the Fox shocks might be better suited to you, they are more of a street specific shock that works well on track also. Where as I would describe Xidas as a track specific shock that works well on street also.

Xidas aren't rebuildable locally as far as I know. Fox however might be as Fox has a big market in offroad and motorcycle shocks and could well have a locally available rebuild service, though you might want to check with FlyinMiata and/or Fox.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 am

apsilon wrote:I've always seen BC as mid range at best so haven't looked into them. Would look at MCA before BC.

Those Xida with 800/500 springs, too high a spring rate IMO for a street car. Good for a track car and street car that does regular track days but I'd prefer something a little more comfortable these days.

I consider BCs to be the best of the budget coilovers and if you view them as such, I doubt you'd get any complaints from actual users.
They're rebuildable and you can order them with custom spring rates (default is 8kg F, 6Kg R which is a good compromise for DD and track duty - make sure to adjust the damping to suit the task, I know one guy who'd forgotten all about this and said his felt sloppy around the track until he was told to "harden them up").
BC Racing coilovers are made in Taiwan vs China so their quality control is MUCH better than Chinese-manufactured coilovers.

MCA will build custom coilovers to suit your specifications and are local too which is a bonus.
For their naysayers, I'd question whether they did the legwork up front to order the coilovers they wanted, as opposed to just buying a set off the shelf.
Danny Irvine spoke highly of the company when I asked him how he'd rate them - an endorsement more than good enough for me.

If you're considering purchasing from overseas, do factor in the S&H cost, coilovers are large and heavy.
- if you're ordering from FM, be prepared for a S&H cost shock, they're unbelievably expensive (but you're guaranteed to get the goods undamaged and in a timely manner if it's in stock).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am

With the Xidas you can specify the spring rates you want and as mentioned they now have the XL available for a more street focus. Supermiata shipping rates are similar to FM so in truth you are looking around AUS$3500 landed (with our little aussie battler dropping a bit lately).

Shockworks will provide to you direct for an MX-5, can explore different spring rates for you if needed and if you want can also do some custom valving. The quality of their units are impressive and they can rebuild their units too. I have been quoted $2000 fitted.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 am

BCs - been there, done that, no thanks.

MCA - only heard good things about them, would look at these first if shopping new again.

Bilstein PSS9 - these have been my go-to since I ditched the 'Kings and Konis' in the mid-Noughties. Rebuildable locally, penalised by shipping costs, and exchange rates (same for any imported shock).

I currently have three sets of shocks for my SE (currently running Teins): Race valved and sprung PSS9s (ex my racecar, ex the original GM); stock PSS9s (replacements for the racecar set, ex GM mk2); and the ex-Blue Rocket Xidas. The Xidas will go in first, and I will see how they go, and whether it would be worth the effort swapping in one of the PSS9 sets. The road PSS9s would be a safe choice, I am confident they would not come out, but that would be boring, and I would regret the lost opportunity of trying at least one of the others.

My 2c.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 am

The highest end shock absorbers for a racetrack will always be the most comfortable (please read on).

A shock absorbers job is to control the body and allow the tyre to contact the road properly, the better it can do these jobs the better the handling and the better the ride. On a racetrack a big emphasis is put onto ensuring the tyres contact patch is kept against the road during very hard 11/10 effort cornering so often the springrate specified is very high to control body roll, and as a result the damping function must be strong enough to control the spring, however with a softer spring the damping is softened up to suit and a better damper will always do both jobs better.

So long as the high ened race damper has enough valving range to soften up enough to suit your personal springrate choice they will always feel great and perform spectacularly.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am

I agree with Dann, which is what makes the Xidas so great. Only issue with the Xida Race compared to their XL is that it's designed to run at low ride heights which won't suit everyone. If were to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate. Shipping and GST + duty costs do suck though.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Just remember the spring rates are the main difference between ride quality. For daily use softer springs rates are better, for track the spring rates are selected based upon the quality of the track (simplistic view).

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:04 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:Shipping and GST + duty costs do suck though.

Yes, even more so when the current $1k threshold disappears soon. That's going to be such a mess.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:33 am

apsilon wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:Shipping and GST + duty costs do suck though.

Yes, even more so when the current $1k threshold disappears soon. That's going to be such a mess.

Off topic slightly, when is this happening? I knew it has been discussed but usually considered too hard to implement.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:03 am

[/quote]
Off topic slightly, when is this happening? I knew it has been discussed but usually considered too hard to implement.[/quote]

July 1 IIRC.

Return to “MX5 Wheels, Suspension, Brakes & Tyres”