Yarra Blvd

Where are your favourite MX5 roads in the State that you live?

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, -alex, miata

Rasco
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Yarra Blvd

Postby Rasco » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:41 pm

after a long day of fanging it where-ever ; there is a very pleasant bit of road in melbourne to enjoy a bit of a cool down for the car, roof off action and local scenery - Yarra blvd in Richmond (off bridge rd or swan street or near eastern freeway) its only a couple of k long but a great escape from "city" driving; if you maintain the exact speed limit there are some very satisfying corners.

HOWEVER, similar to Albert Park it is NOT a road for racing around (lots of police, cyclists, rollerbladers, kids etc) and 50KMPH speed limit

Andrew
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Yarra Blvd

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Rasco wrote:HOWEVER, similar to Albert Park it is NOT a road for racing around (lots of police, cyclists, rollerbladers, kids etc) and 50KMPH speed limit

...think it's 40kmph in places :?: :?: :?:

Chrissy

Postby Chrissy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:26 pm

I went through there just on Thursday night! It was very enjoyable, it was at about 11.30pm - 12 midnight, still rather warm and the road was very quiet... I'm not admitting to anything but I may have allegedly had a bit of fun that may have been illegal... :| :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:

Rasco
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Rasco » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 pm

Correct Andrew - 40kmph by the school and there was some limited roadwork this week

- its a wonderful bit of road and if it was closed down you could easily hit big speeds with a big smile on your face, some really nice cambered corners mmmm

- i'm glad to hear there are other sensible people on the forum who will "cruize" around at quiet times of night -

- I stressed the speed limit as there are a lot of idiots (no MX-5's sighted) in souped up specials who fang around after school/on their way home from work - i.e not the right time

ncmx5

Postby ncmx5 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:52 pm

Just went for a drive there myself tonite. Great nite. Spoilt my fun cuz i was running on empty petrol. Thought i might not have made it to the end if i was playing around.. :?

fd3s

Postby fd3s » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 am

i havent there in years - last time i tested a r32 gtr with 400hp and my rx7 when it was stock - nice stretch of road but the road conditions could be a little better.

i think its a bit dangerous and no where to take over.

i have to admit after drving a mx5 na6 the handling is unbelievable even compared with my rx7.... while the gtr drives more like a normal sedan in comparision.... so now i am endeavoured to make my rx7 to hand the same way......

Insurgence
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Insurgence » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:54 pm

i am going to get down there some time soon. i am always complaining there are no good places to drive round my neighbourhood, and i've been on the yarra blvd stretch a few times (in an excel) which was quite scary while more or less keeping to the speed limit.
NB8A

Stu
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Stu » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:12 pm

I regularly drive this road 3-5 times a week. It used to form part of my commute from Hawthorn to St Kilda Rd.

There is usually a speed camera located between the south eastern freeway bridge and the left hander 500m up the road. It is there on a regular basis, you have been warned! I have once seen a car & camera located off the road hiding in the bushes on the left hander mentioned (This is presuming you are heading from toorak side to bridge rd).

Other cautionary notes:
1, There is a school near bridge road, 40km/h. Pls do the right thing for the kids, and hold up any idiots that want to speed through this section.
2, There are parked cars near the swan st entrance during weekdays. The office workers have a tendancy to create obstacles in stepping out from between vehicles, or opening car doors. I am usually doing less than the speed limit through this section due to the risks.

The only section which is usually trouble free, is from the south eastern freeway bridge to the yarra blvd entrance from the freeway. Keep in mind there are cyclists that use the road, even though the bike path has been upgraded recently.

I have only seen cop cars in sections that I drive under the limit in (luckilly), but they do drive along it. Keep this in mind.

I have also noticed the cyclists and pedestrians like looking at our cars, so maybe slowing down and enjoying the attention is a good thing.

On a side note, I have been fined once on this road. That was because I wasn't paying attention. I deserved it.

Boags
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Re:

Postby Boags » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:36 pm

swittick wrote:...Pls do the right thing for the kids, and hold up any idiots that want to speed through this section...

This is not a good idea... :? Piss off someone who is an idiot behind the wheel of a car. That will frustrate him and he might do something like overtake you when it isn't safe, and do exactly what you are trying to stop him from doing.

Please never intentionally piss off other motorists. You don't know what kind of person they are or how they will react. You are actually making the situation much more unsafe by doing so.

Boags
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

Slugoid

Postby Slugoid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:39 pm

The Yarra Blvd in Richmond is nothing compared to the Yarra Blvd in Kew (off Chandler Hwy) :P.

Roads are bit bumpy there and there's cyclists and joggers there during the day, but at night, it's a really relaxing place to drive. Highly recommended place to go. I often see people make out there....you can tell by the foggy windows and reclined seats :lol:

Slugoid

Re:

Postby Slugoid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Boags'MX5 wrote:Please never intentionally piss off other motorists. You don't know what kind of person they are or how they will react. You are actually making the situation much more unsafe by doing so.

You might get bottle and stuff thrown at you or even get shot at by some wannabe gansters. Never know what some people are capable of these days :?

Stu
Racing Driver

Postby Stu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:07 am

The Yarra Blvd in Richmond is nothing compared to the Yarra Blvd in Kew (off Chandler Hwy) Razz.

Funny I was just thinking same thing, then I wrote it.

Please never intentionally piss off other motorists. You don't know what kind of person they are or how they will react. You are actually making the situation much more unsafe by doing so.

When I was writing about pissing them off, just stick to the speed limit around the school and parked cars. I wasn't condoning driving at 20km/h

Chrissy

Re:

Postby Chrissy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Slugoid wrote:I often see people make out there....you can tell by the foggy windows and reclined seats :lol:

:lol: that reminds me of the night the then bf and I had KFC while parked on the side of the road there in the area where males like to meet other males *wink wink nudge nudge*. This male came up to the car and opened the car door :!: looked in and saw a male and a female in the car and said to us "I think you're in the wrong place guys" :shock: :? :lol:

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Hot Rodders » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:29 am

Chrissy wrote:
Slugoid wrote:I often see people make out there....you can tell by the foggy windows and reclined seats :lol:

:lol: that reminds me of the night the then bf and I had KFC while parked on the side of the road there in the area where males like to meet other males *wink wink nudge nudge*. This male came up to the car and opened the car door :!: looked in and saw a male and a female in the car and said to us "I think you're in the wrong place guys" :shock: :? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bwwaahhhh!!!!! Good one Chrissy. Now I have coffee all over my monitor!
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

Stu
Racing Driver

Postby Stu » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:05 pm

Return to “MX5 Great Twisty Roads”