Victorian and Tasmanian Events

Moderators: Stu, Andrew, miata

joni
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

(Vic Club)Annual Sunrise on the Great Ocean Road Run Oct 4th

Postby joni » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:39 am

Hi all,

Annual Sunrise on the Great Ocean Road Run Sunday October 4th is on!

Respectable starting time of 5.30am for a 6.00am leaving from Coles Express/Shell Service Station & KFC Westgate, Westgate Freeway, Port Melbourne. Remember freeway roadworks/changes around the area.

Bit later in the year this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the launch of the MX-5! Rumour mill says there will be a few guests associated with the original launch of the car on the run this year.... fingers crossed.

Check out flyer on Club Website, as we have included ETA's for various towns along the way. Many people are planning to stay in Torquay o/n Sat, as not leaving until 7am from Torquay pick up (cnr The Esplanade & Price st, Torquay opp Front Beach) - if you want a nice sleep in :lol:

Should be a really good run, great road, scenery/photo ops, company and or course very well suited to the MX-5...

Record number of cars 60+ on this run, amazing sight from front and behind to see so many cars weaving through the twists and turns of this great road with you & hearing the noise reflecting off the towering rock walls - great stuff!!!

Remember: as with all events - this is for Club members only ---- so if you haven't paid up get to it! :!:

Also, as our luck would have it - - - it is the first morning after daylight savings begins, so turn your clocks FORWARD one hour before going to bed (Sat night) or else you'll miss us!

Contact us if you need more info & hope to see you then, Chris & Joni

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
\"Lock it in ... bring it on...\"

nick viner
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby nick viner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:05 pm

We will be there for this one , with bells on.

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Hot Rodders » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02 pm

It's going to be "THE RUN OF THE YEAR."
Not to be missed.
Mark it in your diary NOW!!!! 8)
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

bensale
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby bensale » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:38 am

Looking forward to this one a lot!

By the way, if anyone can think of some good photo shops along the route, let me know. I'm think of driving ahead a bit and some point so I can pull over and take some photos as people drive by.
www.othersideproductions.com
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

Stu
Racing Driver

Postby Stu » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:59 am

bensale wrote:Looking forward to this one a lot!

By the way, if anyone can think of some good photo stops along the route, let me know. I'm think of driving ahead a bit and some point so I can pull over and take some photos as people drive by.

Fixed

joni
Driver

Postby joni » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Lord, I was beginning to wonder if it would be just Chris & I solo on this run this year!

Good to hear from you guys ..

We have heard that a good spot for photo ops is turning right up Wild Dog Road just before Apollo Bay, to the top of that road and looking down on the convoy. I have seen a few shots like this and they look really spectacular.

If we get a few cars we are looking to split it up into smaller groups so that you are going faster than a snail if you happen to get left at the rear of the convoy. I will let you know in due course of the arrangements, if you have any opinions/ ideas about this please let me know.

Anyhow, see you there,

Joni

bensale
Racing Driver

Postby bensale » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Stu wrote:
bensale wrote:Looking forward to this one a lot!

By the way, if anyone can think of some good photo stops along the route, let me know. I'm think of driving ahead a bit and some point so I can pull over and take some photos as people drive by.

Fixed

Thanks Stu, I'm a little out of it today. Joni, that sounds like a great spot, will be sure to check it out!
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

nick viner
Fast Driver

Postby nick viner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 pm

I think that most mx5 owners in the club may, like us be planning on doing this trip. Think about it . It was cancelled earlier due to the bush fire risk and who with an MX5 needs an excuse to do the G.O.R.?
Regards, Nick, And thanks for organising it.
Last edited by nick viner on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joni
Driver

Postby joni » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Just heard two lux sports cars of members joining us for the ride

*Bright orange SpR9 (concept car?)

*Latest Elfin MS8 Clubman V8

Looking forward to checking them out along the way - as is my husband! :shock: :shock:

J

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 am

I might come along to this one too. I havn't been down there for years. I will bring one of the new hardtops, if anyone is interested in having a look. Hopefully have my road car going by then.
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

Reddie to cruise

Postby Reddie to cruise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Would love to go on this run, but as I no longer have my MX5 would need to be a passenger, so if anyone down Dandenong direction is going & would like a passenger pm me.Will even consider leaving my car at starting point if someone going back past it on the way home.

joni
Driver

Postby joni » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Anyone in Ballarat or Western District area please contact John Gleeson on ballarat@mx5vic.org.au as he is asking for interested people for accom booking night before in Torquay or alternatively convoy from Ballarat area to Torquay - whichever has more interest :?: :?:

Thanks Joni

BigDamo
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby BigDamo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 am

I'm in for this one.

Ben if your looking for a good photo "shop" there is a place called Teddy's lookout just after Lorne which has great views down over the GOR and one of the inlet/beachy type bits - I think it would make a great photo with line of 5s along it. If you want I can dig out some photos we took up there.

bensale
Racing Driver

Postby bensale » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey Damo, if you could PM or send me a like to one of them that would great 8) Sounds great!

joni
Driver

Postby joni » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Feedback please ...

We are thinking about splitting into run groups from Torquay stop, max 20 per group with nominated run leaders. This will only be if we get a large number of cars, if not we will continue as normal

When people first sign in at either Westgate or Torquay stops, they will be allocated a group from 1-5 (1 front, 5 last). If you want to have a 'spirited' run - first three groups or take your time - last two groups. They will be colour coded and we will be handing out car stickers for each group member to identify them, each run leader has a sml coloured flag for ease of identifying each group & lead car.

Everyone will still be on same radio channel

POSITIVES

*This way we should all get a reasonable run on the road rather than going as slow as snails in a massive line all the way down to Apollo Bay (which was a problem on the first years run with 63 cars, not so much last year).
*You can choose your pace rather than getting frustrated with car in front going to slow or you getting a frustrated driver behind you when you want to take your time
*Less chance of nose to tails as smaller group sizes and somewhat negates that elastic band effect a little also

NEGATIVES

*People may get annoyed if first groups fill up and they are left with last groups if they are late or vice versa
*People may want to experiece the big group thing especially for photos ops

If you have an opinion, pls let us know as we want to make it a great day out for everyone going! :mrgreen:

Joni & Chris

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”