SDT Track Day - Morgan Park 24 October

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

Steampunk
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: SDT Track Day - Morgan Park 24 October

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:09 am

Run with whatever fuel you're comfortable with. Keep thw tyre pressures the same as you have for street then decrease it by 1psi if you think theres more grip to be had, although having said that, if you're using the tyres you had on at dodgy day then i wouldn't push too hard the first place.
Last edited by Steampunk on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am

Magpie, where exactly in Aratula are we meeting?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 am

https://www.facebook.com/BP-Aratula-569149619791166/

If I don't see you at the BP near Middle Road I'll park the Amarok & Trailer in an obvious spot at Aruatla.

40% chance of rain in the morning for Warwick (current forecast), may keep the AD08's on.

MXO005.
1. Fuel it is better to have too much than have fuel surge. 40 lts of fuel is approximately 30kgs unless you are trying to save every kilo possible I would not worry about it.
2. Tyre pressures. What tyres are you running. The general advice is if using road tyres inflate to about 36 cold aiming for 40 hot (happy to be corrected). If using R Spec tyres cold can be between 24 to 28 depending. I have a 12v compressor with me so it will be simple to adjust pressures as needed.

If this is your first time then take advantage of the tuition available. Generically for tyres if understeering lower rear tire pressure or increase the front vice versa for oversteering. Once you get used to the feel of what your car is doing you can fine tune tyres/suspension. My bum now knows what tyres feel like when they have too much/little pressure in them as well as when they are starting to go 'off' (too hot). The best thing is to learn what over/under steer feels like and how to manage it, that is what these days are for.

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:39 am

if you arrive for this day with a half a tank, you may run out of fuel before you run out of time!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:48 am

I have 5 jerry cans of E85 ready!

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

Ok just to make this clear seeing that we are meeting/stopping at two BPs

- MEETING POINT A: BP at Purga (on right hand side) just past Middle Rd

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/BP+Amberley/@-27.6641384,152.709852,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x80120ff22c6201d9

This is only a very brief stop and leaving at 0430 sharp
--------------------------------------

- MEETING POINT B: BP at Aratula (appears to be on right hand side as well)
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/BP ... ae8e6e9052

Leaving at 0600 at the very latest.
--------------------------------------

Ian, if you don't see us at Aratula at 0600 please assume we have already left

Regardless who is meeting where, please arrive at Morgan Park at the prescribed time of 0720 so you have time to unpack, get yourself and your car ready, toilet break etc.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:13 am

Confirmed, the BP at Purga is only 10 mins from home :)

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:36 am

I'm as happy as a Storm Trooper who has found the droids he's looking for

MXO005
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby MXO005 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 am

Confirmed I will be 'trying' to catch you at Aratula Andrew. Certainly no expectations for anyone to be waiting for anyone else :wink:

Thanks everyone re the fuel. Blonde moment on my part I suppose. Certainly not chasing kg's at this stage so having a full tank will take one more pressure/worry/dial off my mind.

Tyres I'm running are still the same as I had at Dodgy Day :lol: :

Continental ContiComfortContact CC5 185/60 R14 82H
Is the H the speed rating letter? 210km/h? Fully aware that this is my first time out. Will be using the day to try and be less of a danger at Lakeside next month :lol:
I'd read about the suggested 36 so still a bit confused. Start there or use this day to learn my limits at road pressures?

Planning on keeping the roof down for better rear visibility so I can stay out of your way. 8)
Will be keeping my ears open and trying to hog instructors as much as possible.

Racing the clock today to try and get my rollbar install finished while I have helping hands at work. Hit a few hiccups yesterday. Still got the parcel shelf mount drilling to do.
Ian
Silver '94 Eunos Roadster - Nothing much to report.... yet!

slug_dub
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby slug_dub » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 am

I recommend a top up of fuel in Warwick before getting to the track.
The American wrote:hella sic stance flushing pard harker yolo something something.

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:55 am

MXO005 wrote:Racing the clock today to try and get my rollbar install finished while I have helping hands at work. Hit a few hiccups yesterday. Still got the parcel shelf mount drilling to do.

Big tip re parcel shelf / "feet" mounts, don't do up one "foot" tight, then the other, alternate from one to the other several times when tightening them bit by bit.

As for tyre pressure, yes I heard that a certain instructor has advised people run 36psi or more COLD if they are using "street" tyres. This is stupid IMO as it will simply make the car more skittish.

The only reasoning I can think of is that most novices start track days with non-track capable tyres, so the higher pressures will cause them to lose grip earlier, in other words, lose grip at slower, and hence "safer" speeds.
Perhaps also the higher the pressures, the stiffer the side walls become and lessens the chance of the tyre coming off the bead when hard cornering....but if we're talking about street tyres... the loss of traction will occur LONG before the tyre gets deflected so much that it has a chance to come off the bead.

This said same instructor was at one stage advocating Triangle brand tyres which are freakin rubbish, but they bought a ton of them so need to sell them somehow right?. :roll:

I'd run no more than 33 cold.

Don't worry about constantly having to look out for us, we're obviously going to do the same, and since there's so few of us, chance of overtaking is minimal anyway as they would most likely stage us out from fastest to slowest.

By all means harangue the instructors about everything, that's really the point of tomorrow. It's not about fast lap times as there's no timing, it about having fun, going to a track most of us have never been before, and.... for some... trying to break parts of their car on purpose :P

If you have any concerns whatsoever, no matter how trivial you may think it is, don't be shy and ask us.

None of us are super-quick at the track and by no means "pros" but between Magpie, slug, and myself, we've probably got around 50 track sessions combined so we're not complete noobs.

Oh, one thing to keep in mind, and was not mentioned at the drivers' briefing last couple times I went, so in case they don't mention this at Morgan Park and one of us forgets:

Don't park your car with the handbrake on.

When you come in after a session, let it warm down, no braking, bonnet up, for a few minutes, then shut it off and put it in gear. I'm assuming the pit area is level?

Another big tip:

check the temperature and fuel pressure gauges. Don't go looking at them constantly, but whenever you're on a straight section, just have a quick glance once a lap, and when you're parked with the engine on.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 pm

:BROADY: on keep an eye on the gauges when parked. I had a recent instance when the fan relay did not work so the car was idling (whilst I checked the tyres) with no fans, things heat up REAL quick in this situation.

To quote from Doug's briefing "it is the overtaking car that is ALWAYS in the wrong, the overtaking car MUST do it safely, the slower car must stay on its line".

The above contrasts with WTAC where the briefing was "slower car MUST get out of the way and move OFF the racing line to let the faster car through".

Notwithstanding either approach requires you to constantly check your mirrors and be aware of what is happening in front, to the side and behind your car. Morgan Park is not a race or a time attack event, rather a learning session.

I prefer Doug's rules!

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Ooops...of course when i say FUEL pressure gauge, i meant OIL pressure gauge

JAH
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby JAH » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi Guys

Will meet you at BP Aratula before 6am - A bunch of mx5's should be easy to find

I will be in a white NB8a with black wheels

Looking forward to a great day - note sleep is over-rated

John

Steampunk
Speed Racer

Postby Steampunk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Both rules should apply at all times regardless of type of event simply because it's what is expected of competent drivers regardless of speed or position

If people take Doug's rule too much to heart then they wont bother checking mirrors at all thinking "meh, that guy told me that its YOUR job to get around me"

This happened last time i was at lakeside. Newbie was in the middle of the track and i thought "HELLO!! Someone right behind you". She then veered left so i thought she saw me and was.giving way, so i veered right to overtake and then she comes back to the middle of the track again and sort of cuts me off.

Return to “Queensland”