Question Re Chiptourque vs my EBC

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Question Re Chiptourque vs my EBC

Postby NitroDann » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:54 pm

bruce wrote:With age and kays it is more likely to happen now/later.

Given that the issue is the ultimate tensile strength of the rods, I respectfully disagree, If they're straight now they should stay straight so long as cylinder pressures never exceed that which is required to make 220ftlb. That could happen by making more than 220 through sheer performance, or by detonation.

Typically a bit of ping at 10 psi+ in the 4000-5500rpm range, or a spike to 14-15psi at 4000 odd rpm would do it.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 pm

All conjecture.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Given that the BP turbo's failure mode is well understood, I once again respectfully disagree.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 pm

roshmx5 wrote:Cheers again guys. What is the best cost alternative to the stock ecu

Can of worms Alert! Take shelter immediately, and do not come out until you hear the All-Clear siren!

Dann is a big advocate of Megasquirt. MX5Mania sell Adaptronics. Haltech have a range of very capable ECUs (Elite). They are probably the big three in this community, but there are others - I am putting an Autronic in my SE.

Best cost would be to get a previous generation/second hand one, if you choose well there should be no problem with that, and you would probably save a $k or more. But in any event you have to choose, whether going new or secondhand. As for capability, most recent ECUs will probably do the job of managing an SP for brisk street use, and while they may not have all the bells and whistles of the very latest and greatest they haven't stopped working just because they have been superceded.

How do you choose well?

If you are not on top of this technology and capable of making technical judgements, don't try to.

This has been ventilated in here before, but many of us say FIRST, choose your tuner. If you know people who have after-market ECU, especially racers, ask them what they use, who they use to tune it, and how they find that tuner (is he good, reliable, cheap, all the usual stuff). Use the search function on here, there are lots of threads about this subject. Look on here for the racers, or anyone using an aftermarket ECU, see who is close to you, hit them up (PMs not posts) with the same questions. When you have identified a couple of prospective tuners, go and talk to them. Explain your budget, ambition (fastest MX5 in Australia, shopping trips, whatever), and seek their advice.

Make a judgement about the tuner, is he someone who you can trust with your toy and your money? If he is, pick an ECU that he likes/recommends. He knows this stuff, and he is happy working with that ECU, and he KNOWS this ECU. You are not paying him to learn the subtleties of tuning the OMGsomuchpower Mk3 ver2.56 ECU. You are not paying him to say over a broken engine on the dyno 'that's funny, it wasn't supposed to do that'. So you go with something he knows and is comfortable with.

He probably sells what he is recommending, but you can still go hunting a used one. If that's what you want (need to do), tell him and ask him to keep an eye out for one too. Put a want add on here, all the usual things. If you find one, make it subject to being passed as fit by your tuner - this is important.

In the meantime, don't panic! Treat your SP with respect, having absorbed this discussion, and the chances are it will be still healthy for some time to come, maybe even forever! But if you do wish to go down the above or a similar path, do your homework well because that effort will pay dividends.

A cautionary tale. One member on here had a bad experience with a tuner, who blamed the ECU and had any number of excuses (reasons). That took quite a while to resolve, and one of the lessons from that was if you have to travel, then you travel Settling for convenience cost him big time, and ultimately he took his car 1000kms (or so) to be tuned/fixed in Sydney. Now you are not (I hope) going to have to travel that far, but don't settle for the tuner around the corner just because he is around the corner.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

roshmx5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby roshmx5 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Thank you so much for your detailed response and advice. I agree with you 100% about choosing the right tuner.
Much appreciate
Mazda MX5 SP

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Thats a great post.

Dann

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am

roshmx5 wrote:have moved from Sydney to Tassie

Still in Tassie?

Tezzax5
Racing Driver

Postby Tezzax5 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm

roshmx5
When you get a chance send a message to MX5-SP (Andrew D) owner of a white SP on the gold coast that has had the chiptorque upgrade done on his car.

From memory his car was done quite a few years ago, Still running strong with no bent rods.

If you are going to start changing things like ecu's perhaps a better option might be to return the car to stock and move it on?

For the money you would get from a sale it would certainly allow you to find a very clean NB8B and weaponise it to your hearts content.

You could potentially with a car that will far exceed your expectations in regards to performance as well as reliability.

There's some very excellent advice posted earlier.

Work out a budget and what is the end goal?

As well as picking the best tuner you can find use the same advice on component suppliers.

10 years on i'm still enjoying my SP quirks and all

cheers t

roshmx5
Fast Driver

Postby roshmx5 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks so much and I agree fully. When I bought my SP was going to keep it completely stock. In hind sight I should have bought a SE and done mods. The good thing I have kept every single thing to put it back to stock. Even the strut bar I powder coated the original is kept in my cupboard. In saying that I want to enjoy the car and yes stock maybe better but I want to drive it and enjoy it. Glad you are enjoying yours as I am.
Cheers mate
Mazda MX5 SP

roshmx5
Fast Driver

Postby roshmx5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Had a great talk with Lachlan today from Chiptorque, who developed the initial settings of the ECU for the SP.
He stated that Mazda wanted the ecu to run richer around the 4K rev mark and upwards. Basically detune it a bit make it safer. He said his hand were tied and had to do what mazda wanted. As he stated all cars are not tuned to their potential, due to emissions and to save any warranty issues.
I have had a fuel cheque on my SP and it gets the correct amount of fuel AFR and runs well.
So next I will do a dyno run on my car with the stock ecu and have everything checked. I can also use this as a comparison if I go ahead and get the new chip installed.
I will keep everyone updated and once again thanks for your help
Mazda MX5 SP

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”